Today is “Data Privacy Day” – celebrated annually to remind businesses and consumers about the importance of personal data and the need to protect it. Data Privacy Day is observed internationally and was started not just to raise awareness about cyber crime but also to promote cybersecurity best practices.
In that regard, we offer a 5 tips to help you have a protect your privacy.
5 Tips for Protecting Your Privacy
- Personal info is like money – Value it. Protect it. Information about you, such as your purchase history or location. It’s valuable just like money. Be vigilant about who gets that information and how it’s collected through apps and websites. You should delete unused apps, keep others current and review app permissions.
- Share with care – Think before posting about yourself and others online. Consider what it reveals, who might see it and how it could be perceived now and in the future.
- Own your online presence – Set the privacy and security settings on websites and apps to a safe comfort level. Each device, application, or browser you use will have different features to limit how and with whom you share information.
- Lock down your login – Your usernames and passwords are not enough to protect. It’s also important to protect key accounts like email, banking and social media. Strengthen online accounts and use strong authentication tools like a unique, one-time code through an app on your mobile device.
- Think before you act – Information about you, such as the games you like to play, your contacts list, where you shop and your geographic location, has tremendous value. Be thoughtful about who gets that information and understand how it’s collected through websites and apps.
These privacy protection tips also apply to the sensitive data of your business and as of Jan 1, there are numerous privacy laws that could effect how your company operates.
Remember once you share any information in the public space it’s essentially there forever, with virtually no way to retrieve or completely delete it.